Redirect to Scrupulous Scribbles for more bookish posts.

Tuesday, May 22, 2012

What's On My Nightstand \\ June 2012


School is out for the summer (for me, anyway), and in only a little over a week I have devoured four books. I'm trying to get used to not having anything to study, and books have been a good substitute. But since I have so much time on hand to read these days, I'm trying to choose the books I read more carefully. Of course, I'm still reading fun stuff, but I'm also adding in some books that will help me think a little more.

Here's the books I've read since last Nightstand's post. (The only thing I've started reading from my possibilities list on that post is One Thousand Gifts. A bit of a failure on that count.) All covers but The Crossing are linked to my reviews. I even did a little comparison between Divergent and The Hunger Games. (Divergent won.)



I was in a fiction sort of mood I guess. (Finals sent me there.) Fix by Force was my favorite of the four (seriously, read it), but Divergent was a close second.


So this is a picture of some books I've been reading and some I'm hoping to start in the near future. I think I can do much better at this list than last month's. Hopefully.

I've started Little Women as part of a Louisa May Alcott Summer Reading Challenge at In The Bookcase. I've been wanting to read this for far too long (I may have even started it at one point years ago) so I thought this was the perfect time. I even watched the Winona-Ryder-as-Jo movie version a few days ago. Still one of my favorites, though I'm thinking about getting a hold of the older movie version, just to see how it compares.

On my Kindle I'm reading One Thousand Gifts, which I'm also blogging about every week. I'm liking it much more than I thought I would. (This book is also on my Spring Reading Thing list.)

The Spanish book is there for a reason. I desperately want to learn to speak it fluently. (Well, maybe not that desperately since it hasn't happened yet.) This book leaped at me from the Barnes & Noble shelf because it has the word utterly in it. I should use that word more often.

Bonhoeffer has been on my list for a long while. I will read it this summer.

I've wanted to read The Mysterious Benedict Society since I read this review at Reading to Know. I picked it up at my library and will be getting into it shortly.

I also saw A Red Herring Without Mustard at my library and knew right away that I needed to continue Flavia's story. I haven't read a good mystery since, I think, my last encounter with Flavia in The Weed That String's the Hangman's Bag.

Seeds is a memoir. I got to meet the author a few weeks ago and I just know it will be a good book.

Out of this list I'm most looking forward to Bonhoeffer. I'm hoping to eventually get my hands on the follow-up to Divergent, Insurgent, and I've recently started listening to Sense and Sensibility while I exercise, which isn't exactly motivation, but it does keep me from getting bored. Also, I discovered some free ebooks I got for my Kindle a while back and randomly started reading Rain Song. It's kind of sleepy and slow at the moment, so I read a chapter or two before bed. (It isn't living up to its beautiful cover, I hate to say.)

I've also stopped to wonder recently if reading more than one book at a time is a good thing. I don't think I can help it. Right now I'm really just switching between Little Women and Rain Song. A classic, a contemporary. I think that's a good mix. And the Spanish book gives me non-fiction. Wow, you'd think I was talking about food pyramids (excuse me, it's a plate now).

Leave me a comment and I'll most definitely read your Nightstand post. (Because all I need is more suggestions!)

Happy reading!

ETA: I realize I just skipped over May, apparently. This should be titled May and not June, but, alas, if I change it now the link won't work over at 5 Minutes for Books. So, for now, it is June.

12 comments:

  1. I don't care to read more than one book at a time but I couldn't help myself! Last night I started Hidden Flame by Janette Oke. I am really trying to stay on one at a time though. You inspired me, I have added the One Thousand Gifts to my list! and I will be "following you" so that I can enjoy your weekly post on it! I'll bet you are happy finals are done! I know my girls are!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been meaning to start that Janette Oke series, since I have The Centurion's Wife. I don't read much historical fiction set in that period, so I think I should give it a shot.

      Delete
  2. I have One Thousand Gifts on my Kindle too. I think I might work on that this summer. And my daughter just read Insurgent and liked it a LOT.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now this was just an awesome post about books. Thanks for sharing about the L.M.A. reading challenge!! (If you didn't know yet, I now have a link-up going on my blog for the challenge.) Hope you're enjoying Little Women so far! I've now made it into Part 2 of the book, and I've never read that part yet, so I'm relishing every moment. Your copy of Little Women looks so nice & Victorian in the picture!

    I watched the Winona Ryder movie a couple years ago. It was pretty good and I liked it, but I really don't remember much about it now. I think I like the old 1933 movie better! Maybe that is because I watched it a couple weeks ago and it's fresh in my mind, but I really liked watching it. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ah yes, I love how that copy looks. It is an illustrated edition my sister got for Christmas one year, but I'm borrowing it. ;) I'm about halfway to the end of Part 1!

      I'm going to have to get the 1933 version and watch it in the very near future.

      Delete
  4. Apparently it is the season for fiction--I gravitated towards it this month too (even though I didn't have any finals to push me that way.)

    I love that you're listening to Sense and Sensibility while you exercise. I always either read, listen to a book, or listen to a podcast while exercising. I know a lot of people like to listen to music, but I need something to keep my mind moving if I'm going to have to have my body moving :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree! It's good I exercise alone though because half the time I'm cracking up at something Mrs. John Dashwood (that evil woman) said.

      Delete
  5. Yes, reading more than one book is a good thing! When I was younger I couldn't do it, but now I can read up to five books at once (just not at the same time!).

    I really enjoy Little Women, but I highly recommend Eight Cousins and its sequel, Rose in Bloom. They are my favorite Louisa May Alcott books.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I will definitely check out those Louisa May Alcott books! Thanks for the suggestions. And, no, I haven't figured out how to read multiple books at the same time either. :)

      Delete
  6. Where are the rest of the blogs on One Thousand Gifts.....reading through it myself and found your blog....looking forward to week three and beyond......

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your interest! I got a little behind, but the next post is going up tomorrow. :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading!