I'm letting go.
I'm letting go of this feeling that I must devour every book in sight. Because I no longer feel that knowledge can only be found in books. (I never completely thought that, thankfully.) Because a book should be something someone wants to read, not something someone thinks she has to read. (I know, this completely screws up school's assigned reading.) A book is a gateway, not an anchor. And even if books continue to accumulate unread on shelves, if I can't seem to read them all, it will be okay. Because even if I don't read it, someone will someday. I'll make sure of that.
Emily of New Moon by L.M. Montgomery. My initial desire to participate in Carrie's challenge was great, but I have yet to get into this one and the challenge is almost over! I'll read it nevertheless. (And I've just heard about a Laura Ingalls Wilder challenge in February and I'm trying to be level-headed about it, but I may give in and join anyway!)
Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad. I have absolutely no idea of what this book is about. It's for my class as well.
The Hobbit by J.R.R. Tolkien. You know the movie adaptation is coming out Winter 2012, right? I'm almost done with this one. One word: enchanting.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley. Another one for my class. (If you haven't noticed this particular class is an English course, the theme of which is, in essence, a musing on whether or not a person can gain too much knowledge. Makes for interesting discussion.) I've read Frankenstein before and enjoyed it very much. I'm excited to re-read and see what I missed. (I'm recovering from the belief that re-reading a book when there are so many unread books out in the world is idiotic. I'm starting to think it is pretty nice.)
The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. Tolkien. Of course I'll have to read the trilogy after I finish The Hobbit. I picked this up at a cozy used bookstore that I discovered (oh dear) and though "used" the spine isn't even bent. Yay for me!
I edited this after further thought to mention that my local library just got digital downloads of audio books, of course for free. Oh, I love it. I just started listening to Lynn Austin's A Woman's Place and I'm listening to Frankenstein when I'm on the way to school (I have over a half hour commute). It's wonderful!
I edited this after further thought to mention that my local library just got digital downloads of audio books, of course for free. Oh, I love it. I just started listening to Lynn Austin's A Woman's Place and I'm listening to Frankenstein when I'm on the way to school (I have over a half hour commute). It's wonderful!
And now for a parting quotation from Frankenstein:
"How dangerous is the acquirement of knowledge and how much happier that man is who believes his native town to be the world, than he who aspires to be greater than his nature will allow."
Love that quote! I may join in this Laura Ingalls Wilder challenge as well, the more I hear about it the more I want to join! I also plan to read The Hobbit and the LOTR trilogy this year, I've never read any of the books though I've seen all the movies. -Nancy@5M4B
ReplyDeleteI'm the same way! I've seen all the LOTR movies several times so I finally decided to read the books. Tolkien's a bit of a rambler, but he's definitely a good storyteller.
DeleteI read Candide a few years ago and wasn't too keen on it. Course, I find it hard to really enjoy anything Voltaire wrote. I love Frankenstein though. It's one of my favorite classics. I'm so glad you're enjoying The Hobbit! I can't wait for the movie version to come out. My dad read The Hobbit to me for the first time when I was a small kid, and I have the most wonderful memories of that book. Enjoy! :)
ReplyDeleteCandide is definitely a little...odd. I probably wouldn't have read it except that I needed to as part of my literature course. There's actually a lot of history behind it. It was written during a time when new philosophies were being explored about life, and nearly each character in the book represents a particular philosophy. Voltaire points out the positives and negatives all while writing fiction, and the ending is unexpected. Not to say that any or all of those philosophies are true, but I think it would have been interesting back then to see a novella come out that explored all of the different beliefs at the time and even made fun of them. It would not be "politically correct" I'm sure.(Actually Voltaire was locked up a couple of times for his writing.)
Delete(Sorry I rambled on about that.)
Yes, I like The Hobbit very much! I'm drowning in schoolwork but I'm hoping I can read more this weekend.
Actually that's really interesting. I didn't know all of that about Candide. I didn't read it for school, so I didn't get any real background on it. Plus I read it over 6 years ago and I've forgotten a lot of it. :)
DeleteI'm hoping to join in on the Laura Ingalls Wilder challenge if I can check out the first book from my library! It's a popular series, and even though they have a lot of copies, they are all checked out!
ReplyDeleteI don't reread many books but sometimes a reread just fits. I think Little Women has been reread the most over my life; I can't even count the number of times I've read it!
Happy February reading!
On the mention of Little Women, I think I need to read that sometime! :) It's cool to have one book that you always go back to.
DeleteUuuuuuuugh....Heart of Darkness....uuuuuuhg lol Good luck with THAT one! I was not a fan. I had a really hard time getting into his writing style. I had to read it for a class as well as a couple others. :-)
ReplyDeleteOh boy! I don't know what to think about that! I hope I'll like it. :)
DeleteGood for you for letting go. I'm not sure I'm there yet. Then again, I've set myself upon this rather ridiculous quest of reading every book in my library--so unless I intend to abandon that as well, I might not be able to let go of the notion that I need to devour every book in sight :-)
ReplyDeleteI love Tolkien and should probably get around to re-reading him as well. New titles are always vying with old favorites for my reading time.
I understand your feelings! There are so many books that I've read that I would like to read again, but there are so many new books I haven't read yet! I can't decide!!
DeleteI should really read Frankenstein someday soon... glad to hear you enjoyed it! And thanks for stopping by my blog. :)
ReplyDelete